Mack-Cali Realty Corporation offers over a century of combined experience in development, ownership, and management of commercial real estate properties. The following chart diagrams Mack-Cali's history and provides information on its predecessor firms.
Cali AssociatesCali focused on residential development in the 1960s.
Cali Associates was founded in 1949 by two brothers, John J. Cali and Angelo R. Cali, and their close friend and associate, Edward Leshowitz. The company began as a developer of single-family homes in northern New Jersey, and went on to develop over 5,500 housing units in the state.Read more 1949
Cali Realty CorporationCali acquired Harborside, a waterfront office complex with buildable land, in 1996.
In August 1994, Cali Associates went public as Cali Realty Corporation, a real estate investment trust (REIT) trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: CLI). With access to the capital markets, Cali Realty was able to aggressively grow its portfolio and expand its Northeast presence through several significant, accretive acquisitions.Read more 1994
Robert Martin CompanyCross Westchester Executive Park in Elmsford, New York—Robert Martin's first executive park—was completed in 1980.
In 1997, Westchester-based Robert Martin Company was acquired by Cali Realty Corporation in a $450 million transaction. Robert Martin's 65 office, office/flex, and industrial properties totaling 4.1 million square feet were added to Cali's portfolio, solidifying the combined company's position as the Northeast's super-regional REIT.
The Robert Martin Company is known as a pioneer in the development of executive office parks. Throughout the 1970s, the Company constructed four executive parks totaling over 5 million square feet in Westchester County, New York, as well as condominiums, apartments, and shopping centers. In addition, it played a significant role in urban renewal development in Greenburgh, Tarrytown, and downtown White Plains, and constructed over one million square feet of office buildings in White Plains.Read more 1997
The Mack Company
In December 1997, Cali Realty Corporation was renamed Mack-Cali Realty Corporation when The Mack Company and its affiliate, Patriot American Office Group, merged with Cali. In this $1.2 billion merger—the largest private-to-public REIT transaction to date—54 office properties totaling over 9 million square feet were added to the Company’s portfolio. The combination created the Northeast’s leading office REIT, with over 21 million square feet of office properties.Read more 1997
The Gale CompanyThe Gale Company developed several class A office buildings in New Jersey, including 300 Kimball Drive in Parsippany, a build-to-suit for State Farm Insurance.
The Gale Company, a private real estate firm based in New Jersey, was acquired by Mack-Cali in 2006. Gale’s interests in 2.8 million square feet of office properties in Princeton, Roseland, and other New Jersey markets were also included in the transaction.Read more 2006
Roseland PartnersRoseland, known for its superior quality, meticulous attention to detail, and unwavering commitment to customer care, developed RiversEdge at Port Imperial in Weehawken.
Roseland Residential Trust, a premier multi-family residential community developer and operator in the Northeast, was acquired by Mack-Cali in 2012.Read more 2012
Mack-Cali Realty CorporationMack-Cali has a strong market presence on the Hudson River Waterfront. Shown is 111 River Street, a 13-story trophy office tower.
Today, Mack-Cali Realty Corporation is one of the country's largest real estate investment trusts (REITs) and a leading owner, manager, and developer of class A properties.
As part of Mack-Cali’s new strategy, the company will focus on Hudson River Waterfront properties and other transit-based office markets, while expanding its multi-family operations.
Read more Today