1949 Cali focused on residential development in the 1960s.
Cali Associates was founded in 1949 by two brothers, John J. Cali and Angelo R. Cali, and their close friend and associate, Edward Leshowitz. The company began as a developer of single-family homes in northern New Jersey, and went on to develop over 5,500 housing units in the state.
As New Jersey’s population mushroomed in the late 60s, and more people chose to both live and work in New Jersey, Cali added suburban office building development to its construction activities to meet the growing demand for office space. Cali Associates built its first office building, 14 Commerce Drive, Cranford Business Park, in Cranford, New Jersey, in 1969.
In the 1970s and 1980s, Cali Associates focused on suburban office development, building over 2.2 million square feet of class A office space in New Jersey. The Company became well known for its high-quality construction and property management, and was recognized with numerous development awards, including seven “New Good Neighbor” awards and a “Developer of the Year” award from the New Jersey Chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP). Some of the trophy buildings the Company developed in New Jersey include: 101 Eisenhower Parkway, Eisenhower/280 Corporate Center, in Roseland; 50 Tice Boulevard in Woodcliff Lake; International Financial Tower in Jersey City; and 20 Commerce Drive, Cranford Business Park, in Cranford.
As speculative construction activity in New Jersey declined in the 1990s, Cali switched its strategy from developing office buildings to acquiring and managing them. In 1994, Cali Associates went public as Cali Realty Corporation, a real estate investment trust.