Mack-Cali Realty Corporation Announces Third Quarter Results
10/28/2010 Category: Earnings
Edison, New Jersey—October 28, 2010—Mack-Cali Realty Corporation (NYSE: CLI) today reported its results for the third quarter 2010.
Recent highlights include:
- Reported funds from operations of $0.69 per diluted share;
- Reported net income of $0.16 per diluted share; and
- Declared $0.45 per share quarterly cash common stock dividend.
Funds from operations (FFO) available to common shareholders for the quarter ended September 30, 2010 amounted to $64.3 million, or $0.69 per share. For the nine months ended September 30, 2010, FFO available to common shareholders equaled $197.1 million, or $2.12 per share.
Net income available to common shareholders for the third quarter 2010 equaled $13.0 million, or $0.16 per share. For the nine months ended September 30, 2010, net income available to common shareholders amounted to $46.3 million, or $0.58 per share.
Total revenues for the third quarter 2010 were $198.0 million. For the nine months ended September 30, 2010, total revenues amounted to $595.3 million.
All per share amounts presented above are on a diluted basis.
The Company had 79,528,151 shares of common stock, 10,000 shares of 8 percent Series C cumulative redeemable perpetual preferred stock ($25,000 liquidation value per share), and 13,007,668 common operating partnership units outstanding as of September 30, 2010. The Company had a total of 92,535,819 common shares/common units outstanding at September 30, 2010.
As of September 30, 2010, the Company had total indebtedness of approximately $2.2 billion, with a weighted average annual interest rate of 6.81 percent.
The Company had a debt-to-undepreciated assets ratio of 38.0 percent at September 30, 2010. The Company had an interest coverage ratio of 2.7 times for the quarter ended September 30, 2010.
"While fundamentals are still under considerable pressure, we've been successful in increasing our occupancy rate, ending the third quarter at 89 percent, up slightly from last quarter. This success is based on our ongoing commitment to offering a superior product, strong sponsorship, and an unmatched tenant-first philosophy," commented Mitchell E. Hersh, president and chief executive officer.
In September, the Company’s Board of Directors declared a cash dividend of $0.45 per common share (indicating an annual rate of $1.80 per common share) for the third quarter 2010, which was paid on October 8, 2010 to shareholders of record as of October 5, 2010.
The Board also declared a cash dividend on the Company’s 8 percent Series C cumulative redeemable perpetual preferred stock ($25 liquidation value per depositary share, each representing 1/100th of a share of preferred stock) equal to $0.50 per depositary share for the period July 15, 2010 through October 14, 2010. The dividend was paid on October 15, 2010 to shareholders of record as of October 5, 2010.
Mack-Cali’s consolidated in-service portfolio was 89.0 percent leased at September 30, 2010, as compared to 88.9 percent leased at June 30, 2010.
For the quarter ended September 30, 2010, the Company executed 147 leases at its consolidated in-service portfolio totaling 1,107,567 square feet, consisting of 896,349 square feet of office space and 211,218 square feet of office/flex space. Of these totals, 319,659 square feet were for new leases and 787,908 square feet were for lease renewals and other tenant retention transactions.
Highlights of the quarter’s leasing transactions include:
NORTHERN NEW JERSEY:
- TD Ameritrade Services Company Inc., an online brokerage firm, signed transactions totaling 188,776 square feet consisting of a five-year and four-month renewal for 184,222 square feet and a nine-year and seven-month expansion for 4,554 square feet at Harborside Financial Center Plaza 4A in Jersey City. Plaza 4A is a 207,670 square-foot office building which is 100 percent leased.
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., a subsidiary of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, signed a nine-year expansion for 24,607 square feet at Harborside Financial Center Plaza 3 in Jersey City.
- Also at Harborside Financial Center Plaza 3, Frenkel & Company Inc., international insurance brokers, signed a new 11-year lease for 23,516 square feet. The 725,600 square-foot office building is 95.5 percent leased.
- FTI SMG LLC, a global consulting firm, signed transactions totaling 25,398 square feet consisting of a five-year renewal for 22,071 square feet and a four-year and nine-month expansion for 3,327 square feet at 101 Eisenhower Parkway in Roseland. The 237,000 square-foot office building, located in Eisenhower/280 Corporate Center, is 91.4 percent leased.
- Regulus Group LLC, payment processing and service provider, signed a two-year renewal for 21,500 square feet at 365 West Passaic Street in Rochelle Park. The 212,578 square-foot office building is 100 percent leased.
- Atlas Copco North America LLC, a manufacturer of mining equipment and compressors, signed a new eight-year and two-month lease for 17,620 square feet at 7 Campus Drive in Parsippany.
- Also at 7 Campus Drive, Ohaus Corporation, a designer, developer and marketer of scales and balances, signed a new five-year and six-month lease for 16,383 square feet. The 154,395 square-foot office building, located in the Mack-Cali Business Campus, is 77.4 percent leased.
WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NEW YORK:
- Optical Distributor Group LLC, a contact lens distributor, signed transactions totaling 63,017 square feet consisting of a 10-year renewal for 40,615 square feet and a 13-year expansion for 22,402 square feet at 4 Skyline Drive in Hawthorne. The 80,600 square-foot office/flex building, located in Mid-Westchester Executive Park, is 100 percent leased.
- Nextel of New York Inc., a wireless communication supplier, signed a one-year renewal for 30,292 square feet at 565 Taxter Road in Elmsford. The 170,554 square-foot office building, located in Taxter Corporate Park, is 92.9 percent leased.
- E & B Giftware LLC, a designer and marketer of niche accessories for the fitness, gift and travel markets, signed a three-year renewal for 28,430 square feet at 4 Executive Plaza in Yonkers. The 80,000 square-foot office/flex building, located in South Westchester Executive Park, is 100 percent leased.
MANHATTAN, NEW YORK:
- International AIDS Vaccine Initiative Inc., a global not-for-profit agency, signed a new 15-year and two-month lease for 37,404 square feet at 125 Broad Street. Mack-Cali’s ownership interests of 524,476 square-feet in the building are 51.5 percent leased.
- Flag Capital Management LLC, venture capital managers, signed a five-year and five-month renewal for 18,485 square feet at 1266 East Main Street in Stamford. The 179,260 square foot office building is 88.8 percent leased.
- Turner Investment Partners Inc., an investment management firm, signed a five-year and three-month renewal for 39,644 square feet at 1205 Westlakes Drive in Berwyn. The 130,265 square-foot office building, located in Westlakes Office Park, is 87.6 percent leased.
- Also in Westlakes Office Park, PNC Bank National Association signed a five-year and five-month renewal for 23,337 square feet at 1000 Westlakes Drive. The 60,696 square-foot office building is 92.2 percent leased.
- RFE/RL, Inc., also known as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, signed a 12-year renewal for 26,856 square feet at 1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW in Washington, DC. The 169,549 square-foot office building is 100 percent leased.
Included in the Company’s Supplemental Operating and Financial Data for the third quarter 2010 are schedules highlighting the leasing statistics for both the Company’s consolidated and joint venture properties.
The Company expressed comfort with net income and FFO per diluted share for the full year 2010 and 2011, as follows:
These estimates reflect management’s view of current market conditions and certain assumptions with regard to rental rates, occupancy levels and other assumptions/projections. Actual results could differ from these estimates.
An earnings conference call with management is scheduled for today, October 28, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time, which will be broadcast live via the Internet at:
The live conference call is also accessible by calling (913) 312-1516 and requesting the Mack-Cali conference call.
The conference call will be rebroadcast on Mack-Cali’s website at http://www.mack-cali.com beginning at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time on October 28, 2010 through November 4, 2010.
A replay of the call will also be accessible during the same time period by calling (719) 457-0820 and using the pass code 6497782.
Copies of Mack-Cali’s Form 10-Q and Supplemental Operating and Financial Data are available on Mack-Cali’s website, as follows:
Third Quarter 2010 Form 10-Q:
Third Quarter 2010 Supplemental Operating and Financial Data:
In addition, these items are available upon request from:
Mack-Cali Investor Relations Department
343 Thornall Street, Edison, New Jersey 08837-2206
(732) 590-1000 ext. 1143
INFORMATION ABOUT FFO
Funds from operations (“FFO”) is defined as net income (loss) before minority interest of unitholders, computed in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”), excluding gains (or losses) from extraordinary items and sales of depreciable rental property (which the Company believes includes unrealized losses on properties held for sale), plus real estate-related depreciation and amortization. The Company believes that FFO per share is helpful to investors as one of several measures of the performance of an equity REIT. The Company further believes that by excluding the effect of depreciation and gains (or losses) from sales of properties (all of which are based on historical costs which may be of limited relevance in evaluating current performance), FFO per share can facilitate comparison of operating performance between equity REITs. FFO per share should not be considered as an alternative to net income per share as an indication of the Company’s performance or to cash flows as a measure of liquidity. FFO per share presented herein is not necessarily comparable to FFO per share presented by other real estate companies due to the fact that not all real estate companies use the same definition. However, the Company’s FFO per share is comparable to the FFO per share of real estate companies that use the current definition of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (“NAREIT”). A reconciliation of net income per share to FFO per share is included in the financial tables accompanying this press release.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Mack-Cali Realty Corporation is a fully-integrated, self-administered, self-managed real estate investment trust (REIT) providing management, leasing, development, construction and other tenant-related services for its class A real estate portfolio. Mack-Cali owns or has interests in 287 properties, primarily office and office/flex buildings located in the Northeast, totaling approximately 32.9 million square feet. The properties enable the Company to provide a full complement of real estate opportunities to its diverse base of approximately 2,100 tenants.
Additional information on Mack-Cali Realty Corporation is available on the Company’s website at http://www.mack-cali.com.
The information in this press release must be read in conjunction with, and is modified in its entirety by, the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q (the “10-Q”) filed by the Company for the same period with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) and all of the Company’s other public filings with the SEC (the “Public Filings”). In particular, the financial information contained herein is subject to and qualified by reference to the financial statements contained in the 10-Q, the footnotes thereto and the limitations set forth therein. Investors may not rely on the press release without reference to the 10-Q and the Public Filings.
Statements made in this press release may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of words such as “may,” “will,” “plan,” “should,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “estimate,” “continue,” or comparable terminology. Such forward-looking statements are inherently subject to certain risks, trends and uncertainties, many of which the Company cannot predict with accuracy and some of which the Company might not even anticipate, and involve factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or suggested. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements and are advised to consider the factors listed above together with the additional factors under the heading “Disclosure Regarding Forward-Looking Statements” and “Risk Factors” in the Company’s Annual Reports on Form 10-K, as may be supplemented or amended by the Company's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, which are incorporated herein by reference. The Company assumes no obligation to update or supplement forward-looking statements that become untrue because of subsequent events, new information or otherwise.