11 Ingenious Uses for Eggshells
Next time you want to throw your eggshells out, guess again! Below are 11 different uses for eggshells.
1. Add them to your fertilizer pile. Eggshells quickly decompose and add valuable calcium and other minerals to the soil in the process.
2. Control pests in your garden. Place crushed eggshells around your plants and flowers. This will help keep plant-eating critters away without using harsh chemicals. Also, deer hate the smell of eggs, so this will keep them away from your garden as well!
3. Include them when you make coffee. Add an eggshell to coffee grounds in the filter to make your coffee taste less bitter
4. Clean your house. Shake crushed eggshells and a little soapy water into hard-to-clean items. Crushed eggshells can also be used as a nontoxic abrasive on pots and pans.
5. Get crafty. Clean out the inside of a raw egg and decorate the hollow shell.
6. Mold Jell-O or chocolate. Fill empty eggshells with Jell-o or chocolate to make egg-shaped treats. Peel away the shell before serving and you will have a unique shaped treat.
7. Keep your drain clear. Surprisingly, a couple crushed eggshells in your kitchen sink strainer will trap food pieces and keep them from clogging your pipes. As the shells gradually break up, they'll clean your pipes on their way down the drain.
8. Use the membrane. That super thin membrane inside the eggshell can be used for everyday ailments such as protecting cuts and treating ingrown toenails.
9. Start mini seedlings. Fill eggshell halves with potting soil to prep seedlings for the garden. Try starting a dozen tomato seedlings in a carton on your windowsill before transplanting them to the garden in the spring.
10. Treat skin irritation. Place an eggshell in a small jar with apple cider vinegar. Let the eggshell soak until it dissolves; this takes about 48 hours. Finally, use the calcium-rich mixture to treat minor skin irritations and itches.
11. Put on a face mask. Crush dried egg shells with a grinder and combine the crushed shells with an egg white to create a skin-tightening face mask. Allow it to dry before rinsing it off.